Instagram is a popular social media platform for sharing images and videos with friends, family, and followers. Since the app is mainly used on mobile devices, you could be a newcomer to Instagram. Here’s how to post on Instagram to get you started.
This article’s directions are for posting from the mobile Instagram app on either an iPhone or an Android phone, and they presume you have already downloaded and activated Instagram.
How to Post on Instagram
Posting on Instagram can be done at any time, but if you’re trying to establish a network with Instagram, certain times are easier than others to post.
You may also share pictures or videos that were not taken with the Instagram app.
- On your mobile device, open the Instagram app.
- On the bottom, middle of your phone, tap the + (Add) button.
- This brings up your Gallery. Scroll through the images and choose the one you want to share.
- You may also post several images at once, but this article focuses on single photos.
- Instead, tap Photo to open the Instagram camera and take a photo. Tap Next once you’ve picked the image you want to use.
- On the following screen, you can edit and add filters to the image. You have the following options:
- Lux: This is the sunny-looking icon at the top, middle of the screen. You can choose this option and then use the slider to lighten or darken shadows, highlights, and contrast.
- Filter: Slide through the individual filters to adjust the effects on the image. If you pick a filter and don’t like it, you can always return to the filter list’s beginning and tap Usual to delete any results.
- Edit: To access angle changes, brightness, contrast, structure, warmth, saturation, highlights, shadows, vignette, and other editing options, tap the Edit tab at the bottom of the page.
- When using the Lux and Edit options, you must tap Done once you’ve finished making your changes.
- When you’ve finished adjusting your picture to your liking, press Next.
- On the following screen, you can add a caption, tag people, add a venue, and pick any other social networks (such as Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr) on which you want to share the image at the same time.
- To access options, tap Advanced Settings. Disable commenting, automatically share your posts to Facebook, create alt text for your images, and tag or allow business partners to promote. All of these options are entirely discretionary. When you’ve done changing these Advanced Settings, return to your post by pressing the left-facing arrow in the top left corner.
- When you’ve finished writing your article, hit the Share button.
- The page closes, and your Instagram home page opens to show you the progress of the upload, followed by the post once it has completed uploading.
Don’t be surprised if you post something and then change your mind about the settings, caption, or even the picture you posted. If you want to change something, you can permanently delete the message.
How to Post Videos to Instagram
Posting videos on Instagram functions similarly to posting images. The difference is when you first tap + (Add) (Add).
- To post a video, either pick one from your Gallery or tap the Video tab at the bottom of the screen to open the video camera and record the video you want to use.
- There are also some variations in image editing. After you’ve chosen or captured the video you want to use, tap Next to start editing.
- You can add a filter to the video, much as you would to a still picture, but you also have the option to Trim it—use the sliders on either end of the video to shorten it. You may also use any frame from the video as the cover.
- If you don’t like the sound on your video, tap the Sound Off icon in the top right corner of the page. If you change your mind and want to hold the tone, tap it again to trigger it.
- When you’re done editing your video, tap Next to add text, tag people, and add a location to your message.
- After you’ve finished writing your message, tap Share to distribute it to your followers.
How to Delete Posts on Instagram
Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner, then tap Delete to delete an Instagram tweet. Tap Archive to archive your Instagram post instead if you only want to hide it from other users’ eyes.
When you remove an Instagram message, it disappears from public view and is moved to your Recently Deleted folder, where it will remain for 30 days until it is permanently deleted. You can restore deleted Instagram images during this period by going to Settings > Account > Recently Deleted.