How to Use a PS5 Controller on Your PC or Mac
This article will show you how to use a USB cable or Bluetooth to connect a PlayStation 5 controller to your PC or Mac.
How to Use the PS5 Controller on a Computer
It’s easy to set up a PS5 controller on Windows 10. Here’s what you can do.
- Get your PS5 DualSense controller and the included USB-C to USB-A cable.
- Connect the cable to a USB port on your computer that isn’t in use. The controller can now be detected by Windows 10.
Connecting a PS5 Controller to a Mac
It’s just as simple to use a PS5 controller on a Mac as it is on a PC. Here’s what you can do.
- Take your PS5 DualSense controller and charging cable out of the box.
- Connect the controller to a USB port on your Mac that isn’t in use. The Mac has now found the controller and it is ready to use.
How to Set Up a PS5 Controller for Pairing
When using Bluetooth to link your PC or Mac to a Playstation 5 controller, you must first put the PS5 controller into pairing mode for your computer to recognize it. It’s not as easy as it seems, so here’s what you should do.
Keep down the PS button (the power button) and the Share button (the button between the d-pad and the Touch Bar) on your PlayStation 5 controller before the lights on the controller begin to flash.
Your Bluetooth devices menu on your PC or Mac should now include the controller as an option.
How to Attach a PS5 Controller to a Steam Machine
The ability to play Steam-based games is one of the key reasons so many users want to add a PS5 controller to their PC or Mac. Once your controller is attached, follow these instructions to set it up in Steam.
- Start Steam.
- Select Steam, Preferences/Settings.
- Select Controller from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the General Controller Settings tab.
- Select the PS5 controller from the drop-down menu.
- For each button tap, enter the button configuration you like.
- After that, click Save and Exit.
When Using the PS5 Controller on a PC or Mac, There Are Several Limitations
On a PC or Mac, the PlayStation 5 controller can only do a few tasks. Here’s a short rundown of its drawbacks. There is no haptic feedback available. Although you can feel any explosion or hop on your PlayStation 5, there is no haptic feedback when using the controller on a PC or Mac, which limits your senses in-game.
The adaptive stimuli aren’t working right now. One of the most appealing aspects of the PS5 is the ability to gently squeeze the triggers to see if they affect what you’re doing. On a PC or a Mac, this is not feasible.
It’s possible that you’ll need to change the button configuration. Some games will show the correct PlayStation button prompts, but not all will, so expect to have to set it up for each game separately.